Text, Image, Collage

I have recently been thinking about composition and how an image looks as a whole. What does the viewer think about when looking at a piece of work. As an artist am I giving away to much or too little information?


Douglas Kolk

Much of his drawing is influenced by comic books and pulp novel covers, Kolk’s drawings are pieced together as narrative frames. Some of his works offer clearly defined stories while others offer more of a scattering of information.  His work for me seems to offer a sort of reassurance in the anxiety that is felt in a modern day world.


I think that Kolk's mixture of drawing painting and collage along with the size of his pieces play a big part in what the artist wants to convey. Each different piece tells us a different story, he captivates the viewer with the bright colours and unfocused feel of his work and then tells the story with the different mediums









Barbra Kruger
 
"I SHOP THEREFORE I AM"
 
Kruger is an American conceptual artist. Much of her work consists of Photographs overlayed with captions. The phrases and captions in her work often include the use of pronouns such as "you" "your" "I" "we" and "they"
 
 





 She layers found photographs from existing sources with pithy and aggressive text that involves the viewer in the struggle for power and control that her captions speak to. In their trademark black letters against a slash of red background, some of her instantly recognizable slogans read “I shop therefore I am,” and “Your body is a battleground." Much of her text questions the viewer about feminism, classicism, consumerism, and individual autonomy and desire, although her black-and-white images are culled from the mainstream magazines that sell the very ideas she is disputing.



Krugers mixture of text and imade differs tremendously to that of Douglas Kolks work. The messages are clearer and more in your face than Kolks sometimes vague messages.
It is this that I want to continue to look at
      
                                                                                                            


HOW MUCH INFORMATION DO I WANT TO GIVE AWAY?
AM I GIVING TOO MUCH/TOO LITTLE?
COLOUR
SHAPE
LINE
TEXT
IMAGE

 

No comments:

Post a Comment